Sunday, November 29, 2009

Once again: Why do I have to use IE with YM?

I asked this question a few weeks ago and can only see one of the answers, and it is not at all pertinent to the question I asked, so I'm asking again, and I am also requesting that anyone answering please READ what I say before clicking that Answer link.



I already know how to configure my default browser for my entire computer. That is not the problem. (How in the *heck* did that guy get voted Best Answer?) The problem is that YAHOO MESSENGER uses IE as a default browser, REGARDLESS of what my actual default browser is. (In this case, it's Mozilla Firefox.)



What I need to know is how to make YAHOO MESSENGER change its default browser from IE to Firefox. There is no *obvious* way to do this, but maybe there's a shortcut. Or maybe there isn't. If anybody knows, please let me know. Thanks for your time.



(I'm running Vista and, I think, the latest version of YM.)



Once again: Why do I have to use IE with YM?safari browser





I use FireFox as my default browser (but I use XP on my main computer, vista is on our test box) and the best way i have found for Yahoo! Messenger to recognise my default selection (of browser) is to start from scratch



login to Yahoo! Messenger, let it load your friends list etc



now sign out



now Exit



head back to FireFox (I use v2):



Tools %26gt; Options %26gt; Main / System Defaults



uncheck "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" click OK,



exit out of FireFox



Restart F/Fox



now go back to Tools %26gt; Options %26gt; Main / System Defaults



this time check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup"



click on the Check now Button, if it's configured correctly, click OK



now head to Control Panel %26gt; Internet Options



click on Programs (tab), uncheck "Tell me if IE is not the Default Browser", click Apply, click OK



now head to Start %26gt; Default Programs %26gt; Set Program Access and Computer Defaults %26gt; Custom



on the left hand menu you should see Mozilla FireFox installed, select this (click once) now select (from below the right hand frame), "Select this program as default", click OK



there is an xp utility at



http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultbrowser...



which some vista user say have run happily (others not) but it might be worth a shot as it sets your default browser also, and it "should" be recognised by other 3rd applications e.g msn, yahoo etc. I've never actually tried it myself...



the default settings are stored in your registry.. if they aren't being recognised then I would guess that the registry isn't updating correctly, or is being overwritten by IE at some point. I believe earlier versions of IE and IE7 releases had this as an issue so you might want to check with Windows Update to ensure you have any packs or updates for IE7.



all that aside, the reason IE has to be installed for Yahoo! to work correctly is that your Instant Messenger windows are actually mini IE browser windows.. its why your java, scripting and Flash installs and settings must be done via IE not your default browser as such (eg FireFox) and why yahoo messenger v8 users must have IE6 (or above installed and configured) even if they never, ever use it :)



Once again: Why do I have to use IE with YM?ds browser internet explorerA faster, easier way is to just do it through Yahoo! Messengers settings. Preferences - General - uncheck the "Open web links in a new browser." box. Report It


I don't run Vista and I don't honestly know if there is a way to get Messenger to change, so my best advice to you is to write to Yahoo itself and ask them your question. I honestly believe they are the only ones who can give you the true answer you are looking for. Good luck with your issue. Sorry I couldn't help any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan